HomeThe Plan Weekly Log Pictures The Boat Boat For Sale Contacts

June 16 2005

Idlewild Log Entries

August 12, 2006
August 8, 2006
July 30, 2006
July 17, 2006
July 8, 2006
June 25, 2006
June 21, 2006
June 11, 2006
May 9, 2006
April 21 2006
March 28, 2006
March 12, 2006
February 12, 2006
January 30, 2006
January 16, 2006
January 3, 2006
December 27, 2005
December 11, 2005
November 29, 2005
November 16, 2005
October 22, 2005
October 11, 2005
October 1, 2005
September 27 2005
September 14 2005
September 13 2005
September 12 2005
September 11 2005
September 10 2005
September 5 2005
August 26 2005
August 19 2005
August 8 2005
August 3 2005
July 25 2005
July 23 2005
July 15 2005
July 4 2005
June 30 2005
June 25 2005
June 16 2005
June 11 2005
June 9 2005
May 22 2005
April 14 2005
March 2005
October 5 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
October 2003
July 2003

We returned to Ft. Chip from Saskatchewan on June 12th,  that day included some great fishing for some good sized lake trout, Corinne took the prize for the largest fish today, after Kurt Fink had the largest the day before.  June 13, hauled Idlewild out with a large loader lifting the stern with the bow riding on the front axle.  The first loader was a little small so they quickly got a larger one from the municipality.  Guy Thacker was a talented and careful operator that soon had us on level ground.  Bruce Ingles wasn't home today so he left us keys to his truck and shop, we got his welder down to the dock and by the time we had Idlewild blocked, Tommy Champagne arrived and welded the new axles on.  He worked without gloves, nonstop except when we made him eat supper at 8:00PM.  He finished with a smile at 10:00 PM.  We gave him a tour of the boat as a token of our appreciation.  June 14, Guy came early and had us floating free by 10:00 AM.  We washed the decks and reloaded them with some coolers and gear we had dropped off to make room.  We said our goodbyes and returned through the Quatre Fourches channel back to the Peace River and after traveling for a bit longer anchored not far from the Slave River.  We saw several cabins in beautiful spots along the river.  June 15 with an early start we soon got to the point where the Peace turns into the Slave River and carried on from there.  The Slave is a line between the rocky terrain of the Canadian Shield and the soft terrain of Wood Buffalo.  Wood Buffalo National Park is approximately the size of Switzerland. 

We would like to thank all of the people of Ft. Chip that made our stay so much fun - Maxine and Steve Bourke, Tom and Peggy Robinson, Reggie McKay (retired tugboat captain), Bruce Ingles, Oliver Glaufield & Karen Fersovitch with the museum, the staff of the Lodge, Mrs. Mah at the Athabasca Cafe, and several others.

We have had a lot of new river experiences and certainly this section is different than we had seen.  Now depth is generally good but the large granite boulders are an issue to steer clear of even in 50' of depth.  The swirling currents they provide have swung us around not to mention the "Vidar" jet boat that encountered a large whirlpool.  "Vidar" is the replacement support boat generously provided by Brian Peterson of Grande Prairie.  We had good charts provided by the fine people of Ft. Chipewyan as well Kevin Gray and John Laninga did chart some sections to be sure of the river conditions.  At 5:30 PM there was a mix-up with communication and we ended up stopped on a sand bar.  The “Original Muskrat” quickly pulled the Idlewild sideways and was soon free and clear with the assistance of a wake from ‘Vidar’.  We carried on to near Fort Fitzgerald to anchor for the night. 

With the rainy dawn on June 16 we prepared and soon had both jet boats out and were pulling the Idlewild out of the water with a loader provided by Dave Hehn and Glen Freund.  With a couple wheel problems that were caused when we were stuck on Boyer Rapids, and we were delayed a few times and got into Fort Smith Northwest Territories with total mileage to date of 870 miles from Dunvegan.