HomeThe Plan Weekly Log Pictures The Boat Boat For Sale Contacts

September 5 2005

Idlewild Log Entries

August 12, 2006
August 8, 2006
July 30, 2006
July 17, 2006
July 8, 2006
June 25, 2006
June 21, 2006
June 11, 2006
May 9, 2006
April 21 2006
March 28, 2006
March 12, 2006
February 12, 2006
January 30, 2006
January 16, 2006
January 3, 2006
December 27, 2005
December 11, 2005
November 29, 2005
November 16, 2005
October 22, 2005
October 11, 2005
October 1, 2005
September 27 2005
September 14 2005
September 13 2005
September 12 2005
September 11 2005
September 10 2005
September 5 2005
August 26 2005
August 19 2005
August 8 2005
August 3 2005
July 25 2005
July 23 2005
July 15 2005
July 4 2005
June 30 2005
June 25 2005
June 16 2005
June 11 2005
June 9 2005
May 22 2005
April 14 2005
March 2005
October 5 2004
September 2004
August 2004
July 2004
October 2003
July 2003

We had a nice time in Gjoa Haven.  People here of all ages have welcomed us

to their town.   It is a very small town of 800 people and all very

friendly.

On the morning of August 27 'Minke 1' had engine problems that led to them grounding while going through Simpson Strait.  They notified the CGS 'Sir Wilfred Laurier' who were headed their direction but before they arrived Peter and Bob were able to work their way off and get into deeper water. They arrived in the Gjoa Haven bay on 29 at 03:00 and rested before starting repairs.

There are only 2 times that we have looked forward to wind.  When trying to get the hay crop to dry enough to bale or when trying to get through ice in the Arctic.  On sunday 28 we had some windy weather that we looked forward to.  Even though it is changing directions it will help to break up and melt the ice and perhaps give us a path through.

Sept 1st  leave Gjoa Haven at 05:35 and anchor at 18:45 at 69 42n 95 32.7w. 'Fine Tolerance' was 2 hours behind and anchored near us.

Sept 2nd  anchor up at 04:00 as did 'Fine Tolerance'.  We were soon in ice that got thicker as the day progressed.  We were stopped at 16:00 and decided to go back a couple miles and anchor to an ice floe.  On our way back Troy spotted a Polar Bear which had to swim between floes.  We gave chase and were able to get within 30 yards of him for good pictures and excitement all around.

After anchoring for 30 minutes we could see the ice closing on us so decided to go north again as far as possible.  We had discussions with our crew and with 'Fine Tolerance' and we decided that as we had a current of 0.7 kts in our direction and still 2 weeks or more left in the season we should gamble on getting trapped in and hope it will open again in time for us to get through this year.  Within a few hours the ice had closed behind us at 70 27.3n 96 31.2w and there was no turning back.

We are traveling closely with Phil and Liz of 'Fine Tolerance' which is

always a pleasure as well as added security.   Forecast here for 15 to 20

kts wind but not as high or the duration that we expected.

September 5th there is not a lot to report.  We have drifted in thick pack ice 48 miles in our preferred direction in the last 3 days. Always 0.3 to

1.8 kts so we are very pleased.   Pack ice closes and lifts us or moves us

around with some noise, but for the most part we sit here silently with good room.

We are only about 60 miles from Bellot Strait and still happy and we are still confident it will open and we can move ahead.

When we get through Bellot Strait we will probably stop at Fort Ross to look around and then head for Disko Bay Greenland.

Ben, Brad & Kevin Gray,  Jason & Troy Fimrite  & Brian Peterson

Canadian Atlas Gjoa Haven

Environment Canada ice conditions

 

 

September 4, 2005

We have now gone 35.2 miles in the direction we want since getting stuck in ice.  The ice filled behind us also, so it is 90 miles back to open water where we could turn back.  Although we are at more risk here, we still feel we are in a better position for this time of year.  Ice can tighten easily but it can lossten easily too and we are in a good position when it does.

We tried to move a bit today but only went about 20 yards.  Nice day high of 3. And max of 15 kts for a while.  We floated at a max of 1.8Kts but down to 0.5 now again.  We are about 2 miles from shore pretty consistently.

The boat 'Minke 1' has again gotten 2 crew members coming from Halifax and

Will be trying again on Tuesday from Gjoa.   'Cloud Nine' is north of us

about 46 miles and was heading south.  They are in a bay with ice around and he decided today that when ice permits he will turn back.  'Jotan Arctic with wife and several dogs is in the same bay and still will be trying to come south when conditions improve.  'Cloud Nine' is a plastic boat with 9.5' of draft and doesn't want to risk wintering up here so I would make the same decision if I were him.

71 03 n 96 31w All is well except some concern about low supplies of coke. May need to get a chopper out.

Ben & Crew

 

September 2nd anchor up at 04:00 as did 'Fine Tolerance'. We were soon in ice that got thicker as the day progressed. We were stopped at 16:00 and decided to go back a couple miles and anchor to an ice floe. On our way back Troy spotted a Polar Bear which had to swim between floes. We gave chase and were able to get within 30 yards of him for good pictures and excitement all around. After anchoring for 30 minutes we could see the ice closing on us so decided to go north again as far as possible. We had discussions with our crew and with 'Fine Tolerance' and we decided that as we had a current of 0.7 kts in our direction and still 2 weeks or more left in the season we should gamble on getting trapped in and hope it will open again in time for us to get through this year. Within a few hours the ice had closed behind us at 70 27.3n 96 31.2w and there was no turning back. We are traveling closely with Phil and Liz of 'Fine Tolerance' which is always a pleasure as well as added security. Forecast here for 15 to 20 kts wind but not as high or the duration that we expected.

September 1st leave Gjoa Haven at 05:35 and anchor at 18:45 at 69 42n 95 32.7w. 'Fine Tolerance' was 2 hours behind and anchored near us.